For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)
Memorizing Scripture renews our mind, guards our mind, strengthens our faith and prepares us for spiritual battle. We memorize God’s Word to fix the verse in our minds so that the Holy Spirit will recall it whenever needed.
Memorizing Scripture should be a consistent part of your discipleship journey.
1. Read the verse in context.
2. Think about the meaning of the verse.
3. Start by memorizing the scripture reference; chapter and verse (say it out loud over and over).
4. Add the first word to the scripture reference and repeat until memorized.
5. Memorize additional words/phrases, always starting with the scripture reference.
6. Continue until you have the entire verse memorized (writing it down can help too).
Check out the apps below for more tips and methods.
The Bible Memory (Scripture Memorization)
Bible Memory: Remember Me (Scripture Memorization)